Welcome to BLOG Zentangle. To learn about Zentangle, visit our website, read our free newsletters, take a class with a local Certified Zentangle Teacher (CZT), and best of all . . . create your own!


Monday, November 14, 2011

Comfort Tangles

Maria writes,

I think there exists in every tangler's repertoire, one, or maybe two or three, "comfort tangles" . . . a Zentangle version of mac & cheese, chicken soup or chocolate chip cookies . . . that, just the very image of them brings on a sense of well-being. Drawing the same tangle over and over, is not only a great exercise, but it also inspires us to maybe tweak it a bit each time so that it morphs into a more personal expression.

These comfort tangles are great for those, "I don't want to think about ANYTHING!" moments.

I recommend always keeping one or two comfort tangles in your mind's cupboard, ready to serve at a moment's notice whenever you need them.


What are your comfort tangles?

Click image for larger view and to appreciate the play of early morning fall sun on this tile.

14 comments:

Sarah Garrity CZT4 said...

Betweed, purk and flux are the ones I grab. If I just let my hand go...it seems to start one of those three.

Carole Ohl said...

Love this! It's amazing how each tangle has a rhythm, and each person can find the particular tangle dance that suits them. Right now mine is Bridgen, which reminds me to put one foot in front of the other, one step at a time, letting each step fall behind me. My life is not very linear at the moment, so I enjoy the comfort of something more linear and sequential!

Diane Lachance, CZT said...

Using just straight lines and orbs is a cozy comfort zone for me. I am always amazed how much I can do within that limit.

Zentangle said...

Purk was my all time favorite....next came mooka, because it goes so fast for me...fills an entire tile in minutes and is rather unexpected....and now I love tripoli which after I do the triangles, there are so many tangleations.... comfort tangles. I like it. maria

crotnem said...

Love this zentangle here! My comfort tangles are mooka, betweed, cubine and now I've added cadent!!!!

Lois Heinani Stokes said...

I love drawing orbs, filling in empty spaces with black ink, 'NZEPPLE without grid,FLORZ and KNIGHTSBRIDGE.
What a delicious plate of cookies they make.

Margaret Bremner, Artist said...

I've had MANY faovirites, for weeks or months. However, TIPPLE always seems to be there. CRESCENT MOON too, and now TRIPOLI.
--Margaret

LellyBilly said...

Mine is definitely purk! Once you know how to do it, it doesn't take much concentration and it always comes out looking intricate and really cool.

Judi said...

Ever since Rick showed us Munchin and mono tangled tiles at CZT 7 I've been hooked. Sooooo relaxing. That or scena puts me into La La land, someplace I just love to dwell. LOL

Karen Lynn said...

I was thinking about my "comfort" tangles as I searched for new tangles to try for this week's Diva challenge. I love to use my tried and true patterns that require so little thinking and provide so much "zen". For me, those are betweed, paradox, florz, cadent, and of course, tipple.

Shelly Beauch said...

I love to let loose with mooka and cover a whole page starting at the bottom and swirl around, just like Carole says find my rhythm and dance to the top!

Anonymous said...

Adore this beautiful tile.
Looking over my tiles, knightsbridge, mysst and paradox. plus some that morph into something else.... you did say there are no mistakes LOL
Dianne in Australia

Sadelle said...

For a while my go-to comfort tangles had a similiar quality to them.. .. paradox, hibred, shattuck, betweed.. though I've definitely added verdigogh, cadent, bales and cubine, mooka and tripoli to that list now. Punzel is soon to be there too!

Unknown said...

My comfort patterns change based on new ones that I'm working on, but I do find that betweed, paradox, shattuck, and onamato tend to show up in a lot of my tangles. I also like a lot of the grid ones, and they're my fallback for when I need to fill space.... cubine, nzeppel, and beeline are faves.